Monday 19 December 2011

Introduction to Permaculture Part 8

                         The Fig with a backdrop of Arrowroot.

We then planted a couple of Mandarins.

After we finished planting, watering, sheet mulching and then hay mulching, we were done for the first day!

     Steve and I headed for camp, where we changed into swimmers and headed for the bridge over the Mary River, reputed to be the best swimming spot nearby. The water was ICY! After such a hot day, it was quite a shock to find that I couldn't just dive right in. It took me 15 minutes to work my way from my ankles to my waist (as deep as it got), and NONE of the other adults went past their shins! It was divine – so cool and clear and refreshing. It's been too long since I've swum in a clean river. It'd kill you to swim in our nearest, the Bremer.

   After our (!) swim we headed back to the bunkhouse, where we were sharing a room with 2 of the male course participants. I had sore eyes from a day in the bright sun, so had a short kip whilst Steve chatted to some other campers at the open air kitchen. Soon after we headed to the Village Green where dinner was served by Morag and Evan - I brought my newly-discovered recipe of coconut yoghurt, and some rhubarb stewed with coconut sugar. A great hit, I was lucky to get any!
      
   We had an early night, worn out by a long day in the sun, despite being entertained by the 'open mike' music at the Village Green. The mattresses on the bunks were a tad hard, but although at one stage I listened to a chorus of snores from my 3 male bunkroom mates, I had a reasonable night's sleep.
     Bright and early the next morning we congregated at Evan and Morag's for breakfast. By consensus we decided to meet for breakfast by 7:30am to get out in the garden before the sun really got hot. Another high 30's day.
    Breakfast was cereal and milk, sourdough bread and spreads, and fruit, with coffee and numerous types of teas. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment